Saturday, November 8, 2014

Shelf Candy Saturday #134: Crimson Bound, by Rosamund Hodge

 


Welcome to Shelf Candy Saturday!!


This is my weekly feature
showcasing beautiful book covers!
It also provides information,
if available, on their very talented creators!

For more information
about Shelf Candy Saturday,
simply go HERE.



Here's my choice for this week!




 Crimson Bound
Hardcover, 448 pages
Balzer + Bray
(An imprint of HarperCollins Publishers) 
May 5, 2015
Fantasy, Fairytale Retellings,
Young Adult Fiction


https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/22934445-crimson-bound





My Thoughts About This Cover


This book will be published next year; in fact, I have seen this cover on the "Waiting On Wednesday" feature of several blogs. Its breathtaking beauty  caught my eye right away!

The image is just as stunning as the cover of Cruel Beauty, which I featured on Shelf Candy Saturday #76. That novel is also by Rosamund Hodge. A comparison of both covers will make it very obvious that the same artist, or artists, designed each of them. Unfortunately, I've been unable to get any information on this/these very talented individual/s, as I don't own Cruel Beauty yet, and, of course, Crimson Bound won't be available until next year.

Both covers have a very beautiful spiral movement, which consists of a staircase,  seen  from above. Instead of having a rose blend in  with  the staircase, trees are featured. One of them is at the very center of the patio seen from above, while the others seem to be encroaching on the scene, at the top of the cover. I love the intense blue-green of these trees, which nevertheless give the cover a rather sinister feel.

The dynamic spiral movement is contrasted with several patterns -- those made by the steps, which follow this movement, and the black and white tiles surrounding the central tree. There are also shadows on the steps, and these, too, wind around and around. The result is a mesmerizing effect that simply draws in the eye. I especially love circles, too, so that's the main  reason I was pulled in!

Against all this movement and splashes of blue-green, the red of the hood worn by the person I believe to be the main character stands out beautifully! The central tree points to this figure, and the eye moves down to it, then back up to the top of the tree, and then around and around.... Or perhaps one first starts with the spiral, and then notices the other elements.

Needless to say, the font used for the title also plays a part in contributing to the beauty of this cover. It's a simple, classical one, but the first letters of the title have been given very graceful flourishes. They definitely capture the eye, as well.

In short, this is an incredibly stunning cover, and I can't wait for the book to be released, so I can have it in my possession! Of course, I know I will love the story inside; I adore fairytale re-tellings, and this one deals with Litttle Red Riding Hood. Oh, why do I have to wait for May?





What do you think of my choice
for this week?
Please leave me a comment
and let me know! 




8 comments:

  1. The cover sure looks beautiful, I hope the book is sure as good as this one!

    Benish | Feminist Reflections
    A Thousand Pieces of You Hardcover Giveaway

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Benish!

      Oh, I LOVE this cover!! I wish I knew who the artist/s is/are, because they're just BRILLIANT!!

      I've heard that the first book, "Cruel Beauty", is excellent, so I'm assuming this one will be, as well.

      Thanks for stopping by and commenting!! : )

      Delete
  2. I love this one too.

    I tend to really like circles and spirals as a matter of course.

    I agree that the red is striking. I am really curious how all this fits into the plot of the book.

    Looking at the picture, I think how I would love to be in this imaginary place and walk that staircase.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Brian!

      Oh, I LOVE circles and spirals!! There's just something so BEAUTIFUL about them!

      These cover designers are just incredible, you know? The things they come up with are so aesthetically pleasing, pulling the reader in right away.

      Yes, the red is very striking! And I'm with you -- I'd love to walk that staircase, as well!

      Thanks for the great comment!! : )

      Delete
  3. I do love this cover. The spiral staircase that seems to never ends draws your eye, and the red pops!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Magen!

      This is definitely a GORGEOUS cover!! If you've seen the cover of "Cruel Beauty", I'm sure you know how stunning spiral staircases can be!

      I can't wait for this one to be published!

      Thanks for dropping by and commenting!! : )

      Delete
  4. I haven't read Cruel Beauty yet, but I did purchase it for my shelf after hearing wonderful things from some like-minded readers and because the cover is just gorgeous! This is the first I'm seeing of Crimson Bound, and it is just as stunning. I'm definitely adding this to the wish list! Thanks for sharing and for stopping by! Have a wonderful week!
    ~Michele

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Michele!

      Oh, I really need to read "Cruel Beauty", too....And that cover....well, just GORGEOUS!! I have seen "Crimson Bound" on a couple of WOW posts, and I immediately fell in love with it!! I'm so glad you're adding this one to your wish list!

      You're very welcome for the sharing, as well as for my visit! Thanks for visiting back, and I hope you have a wonderful week, too!! HUGS!!! : )

      Delete

THIS IS NOW AN AWARD-FREE, AND TAG-FREE BLOG. Thanks for the compliment, though! : )

As of today, 9/23/18, I have permanently enabled comment moderation, due to a sudden rash of SPAM comments. I appreciate your patience!

Thanks for your thoughts on my posts! I always reply here, as well as comment back on your blog. Have a WONDERFUL day!! :)