Saturday, July 12, 2014

Shelf Candy Saturday #120: Wuthering Heights, by Emily Bronte

 


Welcome to Shelf Candy Saturday!!


This is my weekly feature
showcasing  beautiful book covers! 
It also provides information,
if available, on their very talented creators!

For more information
about Shelf Candy Saturday,
just click HERE.



Here's my choice for this week!



Wuthering Heights
Trade Paperback, 431 pages
HarperCollins Children's Books
May 1, 2009
Classics, Gothic Fiction, Historical Fiction, 
Literary Fiction, Romance


https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/7097041-wuthering-heights




Why do I love this cover?

Although this cover is, admittedly, pretty creepy, I also find it to be a stunning one!  That ghostly flower, which looks somewhat like a tulip, but isn't, floating above a dark staircase.....well, this image is just perfect for a Gothic novel like this one!

The gloomy staircase leads up to a mysterious door, which is partially in shadow. The rather sinister-looking background, with the light and shadows, reminds me of a Hitchcock movie. In fact, Wuthering Heights has been filmed and produced on stage and radio several times.  The most famous movie adaptation was made in 1939. It starred Laurence Olivier and Merle Oberon, although it was directed by William Wyler, not Hitchcock, who in fact never filmed the novel. That is rather unfortunate, since he would definitely have followed more closely the novel's original plot, with its brooding, depressive, atmosphere.

Although I detest this novel with all my heart, I have to say that I find myself mesmerized by this strange, uncanny image, which I do think has been brilliantly conceived.

The font used for the title and author's name is lovely and has a rather whimsical air about it, which is a nice contrast to the overall eerie mood.

The one element that I think spoils the total effect is that seal on the left, which proclaims that this is Edward and Bella's favorite novel. These characters, are, of course, the romantic couple in The Twilight Saga.  Had I been the cover designer or illustrator, I would not have permitted the seal to be placed on the cover at all, for it spoils the entire look.

Since I don't own this book, I have no way of knowing who created the cover. The Amazon reader is of no help here; this particular edition of the novel is apparently not sold by Amazon.




What do you think of my 
choice this week?
Please leave me a comment 
and let me know!
Thanks!!





     

6 comments:

  1. Hey, Maria!

    I like how modern covers are now being used for the classics. It really grabs the reader's attention and gives the classics more of a "fun" vibe. I know many people don't like to read classics because they think that these books are "boring" and/or "hard" to read, but these modern covers really trick these people into thinking otherwise.

    This cover, in particular, for Wuthering Heights is eye catching. Though it does not have many vibrant colors, the black and white does work. It gives it that ghostly feel, which portrays the gothic novel beautiful just like you mentioned. The use of red on the ribbon makes the flower pop out more. This color symbolizes some of the themes the book entails: passion and obsession.

    Great job in describing all of the details this cover has. You sure have a keen eye!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Vonnie!

      Oh, I LOVE modern covers on classics!! I think you're right -- they make these books more appealing to modern readers.

      You know, the reason classics don't appeal to readers as much nowadays is that writing has changed. Although literary fiction still exists, the prose styles are not the same as the ones in the 19-century, for example. People probably don't quite understand the way those authors wrote because of changes in vocabulary and slang expressions. Also, in 19th-century fiction, for example, sentences tended to be LOOOONG! Sometimes one sentence takes up an entire paragraph! This is also true of some fiction written in the early 20th-century.

      To get back to the cover it definitely IS eye-catching! Even though it's a very gloomy, depressing, cover, it's still stunning. It just hypnotizes me!

      You say I have a keen eye? Well, thank you!! You do, too -- I like what you say about the ribbon on the flower, and what it symbolizes! Very true, too!!

      Thanks for such a thought-provoking comment!! : )

      Delete
    2. Aww thanks, chica! I usually have a hard time expressing myself with words, especially when it comes to analyzing things.

      I agree, prose styles have dramatically changed throughout the years. I have to admit, I also fall under the category that I rather read modern prose than early century prose. As much as I love reading, I rather like reading books that are much faster to read.

      Delete
    3. Oh, you're very welcome! I really enjoy your comments!! And I think your analysis was right on target!

      You know, sometimes I feel as you do about reading books that you can get through more quickly. But I think it's very "healthy" for a reader to pick up a classic from time to time, as well as contemporary literary fiction. That's how you really get acquainted with all the subtle nuances of the written word. I would like to be reading more classics and literary fiction myself.

      The one thing I don't like about literary works, whether classic or contemporary, is that they sometimes digress from the main story, and go off into unrelated areas. The first book that comes to mind is "Anna Karenina". I participated in a read-along for that novel a couple of years ago, and I remember getting VERY frustrated with it! Tolstoy had long chapters on subjects that were not really related to the story he was telling. So, to me, that book reads like a novel with portions of a nonfiction book inserted at certain intervals. I didn't enjoy it at all! Aside from that, the subject matter did not appeal to me. I should have never gotten involved in that read-along!

      Thanks for the great comment!! : )

      Delete
  2. This is a striking cover Maria.


    In addition to everything that you mention, it has a strange 3D look to it. Obviously it is not something that I am actually seeing in three dimension put that flower really looks like it is floating above the book. This add to ghostly and uncanny effect that you allude to.


    I agree that the seal does not belong there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Brian!

      I'm glad you agree that this is indeed a striking cover!

      You're right about the 3D look. Well, the flower is definitely floating in the air, over the staircase. But what you say is interesting -- it seems to be floating over the book, too? WOW. You know, I hadn't thought of that, but now that you mention it, I can see what you mean. Fascinating concept!

      Great that you agree on the seal. I don't know why publishers do these things....

      Thanks for the interesting comment!! : )

      Delete

THIS IS NOW AN AWARD-FREE, AND TAG-FREE BLOG. Thanks for the compliment, though! : )

As of today, 9/23/18, I have permanently enabled comment moderation, due to a sudden rash of SPAM comments. I appreciate your patience!

Thanks for your thoughts on my posts! I always reply here, as well as comment back on your blog. Have a WONDERFUL day!! :)