Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Waiting On Wednesday #78: The Watcher In The Shadows, by Carlos Ruiz Zafon




This is a weekly event hosted by
It showcases future releases which
we book bloggers are
eagerly anticipating!!




Here's my choice for this week!





Hardcover, 256 pages
Weidenfeld & Nicolson
May 9, 2013, U.K.
(To be published in the U.S.  6/18/13)
Fantasy, Romance, Young Adult Fiction 

Purchase Links


Amazon Synopsis

When fourteen-year-old Irene Sauvelle moves with her family to Cape House on the coast of Normandy, she's immediately taken by the beauty of the place--its expansive cliffs, coasts, and harbors. There, she meets a local boy named Ishmael, and the two soon fall in love. But a dark mystery is about to unfold, involving a reclusive toymaker who lives in a gigantic mansion filled with mechanical beings and shadows of the past.

As strange lights shine through the fog surrounding a small, barren island, Irene's younger brother dreams of a dark creature hidden deep in the forest. And when a young girl is found murdered, her body at the end of a path torn through the woods by a monstrous, inhuman force, Irene and Ishmael wonder--has a demonic presence been unleashed on the inhabitants of Cape House? Together, they'll have to survive the most terrifying summer of their lives, as they try to piece together the many mysteries and secrets hidden in a town torn apart by tragedy, amidst a labyrinth of lights and shadows.




I've been wanting to read something
by this author
for a very long time, and this gorgeous cover
pulled me right in!
Although the plot does sound scary,
and I normally wouldn't read
this type of book,
I'm willing to check it out,
 just because it's by Zafon.
And I want the U.K. cover, too.
I don't like the U.S. cover at all!



The Watcher In The Shadows
Carlos Ruiz Zafon
(U.S. cover)

Purchase Link




What do you think of my choice?
What fascinating books
are you waiting on this week?








10 comments:

  1. Indeed this looks darker then your usual picks Maria. It really looks frightening. Rural settings in the summer with something sinister lurking about also seem a little fun to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Brian!

      You know, this might just be a case of cover love that's gone to my head....lol. So I might end up not reading this at all. I guess I should have featured it on "Shelf Candy Saturday", and left it at that!

      Thanks for commenting!! I apologize for not visiting your blog and commenting back lately....I promise to do so later on today! :)

      Delete
  2. Ooh, interesting. Thanks for sharing :)

    follower

    http://itchingforbooks.blogspot.com/2013/06/waiting-on-wednesday-51.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Shane!

      Glad you like my pick, even though it IS a little frightening... Thanks for commenting!! :)

      Delete
  3. This sounds amazing! I love Zafon too, although it's been a while since I've read anything by him. Great choice!

    My WoW.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Tammy!

      I have yet to read anything by Zafon, although I do have copies of "The Shadow of the Wind" and "The Angel's Game". I've heard so many great things about this writer!

      What first attracted me to this book was the cover. I had no idea the plot would be so scary. I might still read it, however, just because it's by him.

      Thanks for commenting!! :)

      Delete
  4. This sounds really interesting. I'll have to see if I can snag a copy. Great pick! Thanks for stopping by my WoW!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Natalie!

      Glad you like my choice! If you prefer the UK cover, you will most definitely find it at the links I've posted above. Hope you enjoy the book, if you decide to get a copy!

      You're very welcome for the visit! Thanks for commenting back!! :)

      Delete
  5. Hi, Dani!

    Great that you like my pick! Thanks for dropping by and commenting!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh this sounds really good! Thanks for introducing me to it!

    Teresa @ Readers Live A Thousand Lives

    ReplyDelete

THIS IS NOW AN AWARD-FREE, AND TAG-FREE BLOG. Thanks for the compliment, though! : )

As of today, 9/23/18, I have permanently enabled comment moderation, due to a sudden rash of SPAM comments. I appreciate your patience!

Thanks for your thoughts on my posts! I always reply here, as well as comment back on your blog. Have a WONDERFUL day!! :)