Saturday, April 20, 2013

Shelf Candy Saturday #65: Sunshine and Shadow, by Sharon and Tom Curtis




Welcome to Shelf Candy Saturday!!


This weekly event,
hosted at
A Night's Dream of Books,
features beautiful book covers!


If you'd like to participate, just grab my button (or create your own), write your own post, and link up in the Linky widget at the bottom of this post.  (Just click on "Read more" so that the entire post will open up.

If you can find information on the artist, designer, and/or photographer, you can definitely include it!  This is optional, though.  You can simply display a beautiful book cover, and tell us why you love it!



Here's my choice for this week!




Mass Market Paperback, 368 pages
Bantam Books
September 1, 1986
Contemporary Romance



Why do I love this cover?

This is not only a beautiful novel, and one of my all-time favorite romances, but it also has a beautiful cover!  It's a rather unusual one, too, because of the strong tactile sensation I get even from the two-dimensional image. 

There's such a flowing, peaceful feeling to this image, as well.  The young woman appears about to awaken her sleeping husband, but she is also hesitant to do so.  It seems that she will either wake him up very gradually, or settle for a very soft caress across his back.  As she moves, the comforter moves, too, undulating in gentle folds of metallic gold.   The comforter also serves to focus attention on the couple.


The gold color seems to be a metaphor for the wealth of love and tenderness expressed in this elegantly simple cover.  This woman is very much in love with this man, and he, although asleep, is probably aware of her caress, at some level.  I know, since I have read the book, that he, too, loves her very deeply. 

In short, I love the gentle, loving intimacy of this scene!

The font used is just as gorgeous as the image, and is perfectly suited to it.  The letters are raised, and I think the viewer can feel that, too.  I love the curves on the letter "S", as well as the flourishes on the "A", "E", and "W".  The font style is typical of the time period, as well. 

Although I do own this book, it's somewhere in my vast library, so I don't have it right in front of me.  However, I don't think the artist(s) is(are) credited.  They usually aren't, on mass market paperbacks.  The style of the art does remind me of the work of Leo and Diane Dillon.   






What do you think of my choice?
What beautiful cover(s)
are you featuring this week?












4 comments:

  1. it may be a surprise but I really like this cover. In addition to everything that you mentioned, that fact that it is mostly taken up by the bedcovers, with the couple only occupying a small portion of the of the picture ironically highlight the couple more then if they occupied more of the picture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, this is a very beautiful cover, and I'm so glad you agree! It's very simple, elegant, and yet, very effective.

      Thanks for the great comment!! :)

      Delete
  2. This is a pretty cool cover. I like the simplicity of it without being too cheesy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Precisely! It has just the right touch of romance. Well, as the saying goes, "Less is more." It works very well here!

      Thanks for the great comment!! :)

      Delete

THIS IS NOW AN AWARD-FREE, AND TAG-FREE BLOG. Thanks for the compliment, though! : )

As of today, 9/23/18, I have permanently enabled comment moderation, due to a sudden rash of SPAM comments. I appreciate your patience!

Thanks for your thoughts on my posts! I always reply here, as well as comment back on your blog. Have a WONDERFUL day!! :)