Saturday, August 25, 2012

Shelf Candy Saturday #32: Savage, by Willow Rose

 
 
Welcome to
Shelf Candy Saturday!!


This weekly meme/blog hop, hosted here,
features beautiful book covers!
It was originally hosted by
Stephanie @
Five Alarm Book Reviews,
a blog I really miss...
 
  
 
 
If you'd like to participate, just grab my button (or create your own), write your own post, and link up in the Linky widget at the bottom of this post.  Just be sure to click on "Read more" so that the entire post will open up. 
 
As a bonus, you can include information on the artist, designer, and/or photographer in your post, but it's not required.  You can simply feature a cover and explain why you love it!
 
 
 
 
Here's my pick for this week!
 
 
 
 
 
(Daughters of the Jaguar #1)
Paperback, 447 pages
DMC
June 14, 2012
Genre: YA Paranormal Romance
(16 and up)
 
 

Why do I love this cover?
 
 
This is a truly stunning cover!  As regular readers know, I love large, bold images, and this cover certainly fits the bill!  The jaguar's face dominates most of the space, with that haunting, penetrating gaze...  It's a very realistic face, too.  The strange, ghostly flowers next to the animal's face lend an air of eerie beauty to the entire image.   I'm not sure, but I think they might be poppies.  Some equally strange, and just as ghostly, bubbles float arond the jaguar's head, also contributing to the overall mood.
 
I love the very realistic-looking spotted print framing the jaguar's head!  It looks more like leopard skin than jaguar skin, but it certainly adds the perfect touch to the whole image.  Besides, leopards and jaguars are closely related species, after all.
 
The font used for the title is flowing and beautiful.  What I especially love, though, is the way the subtitle has been handled.  It's enclosed in a box, with a jaguar head on each side.  The border also makes use of a leopard-skin frame, and the font is a classical one, but with a nice little nearly medieval-looking twist.
 
Although you all know how much I adore blue covers, I also feature covers done in other colors.  This one is just lovely!  The jaguar's face is done in burnt sienna, a color that's rich in tone, and yet another favorite of mine (of course, blue still reigns supreme).  The soft yellow of the frame, spotted with dark brown,  beautifully complements the burnt sienna.
 
Last but not least is the author's name, also done in burnt sienna.  My only quibble is that the letters are a bit too small; one really has to look for the name. 
 
Overall, this is simply a gorgeous cover, and it certainly does prompt me to pick up the book and read it! 
 
 
 
 
The highly talented artist is
Jan Sigetty Boeje.
He's the director, cameraman,
and editor/publisher of
The Danish Media Corporation, and
lives in Merritt Island, Florida (USA).
He's also the author's husband!
 
You can access his Facebook page
 
I was unable to find any other
information on him.
There are other links, but they're
all in Danish.
 
 
 
 
 
 
What do you think of my choice?
What beautiful cover(s)
are you featuring this week?
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

 
 




6 comments:

  1. It's very unique. I really love the bubbles and the tiger intrigues me. I also like the cover being mostly red and the gold frame makes it really stand out! Great pick. Thanks for sharing! Happy Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cool cover! The jaguar is really cool and I love how the bubbles and flowers add to the design. It's awesome how the title has been done like a plate with the cat heads. So cool :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Kimberly!

    Yes, this is indeed a very unique cover! Glad you like it!

    You're very welcome for the share, and thanks for participating and commenting!! : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, Claire!

    I agree -- this is a very cool cover! I've never seen anything like it, either.

    Those cat heads are an added bonus, too!

    thanks so much for participating and commenting!! : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! This one is an impressive cover. I would not have known to call the color burnt sienna but it is perfect. I brighter shade of red would have been all wrong. This shade makes me think of something regal but mysterious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, Brian!

    I know the name of this color because I was an art major in college (although I've also always loved literature), and I remember doing a painting in which this color predominated. It's such a rich, beautifol color! In more common terms, I'd call it reddish brown. And you're right, it DOES give the jaguar a regal air, aa well as one of mystery.

    Thank you so much for commenting!! : )

    ReplyDelete

THIS IS NOW AN AWARD-FREE, AND TAG-FREE BLOG. Thanks for the compliment, though! : )

As of today, 9/23/18, I have permanently enabled comment moderation, due to a sudden rash of SPAM comments. I appreciate your patience!

Thanks for your thoughts on my posts! I always reply here, as well as comment back on your blog. Have a WONDERFUL day!! :)