Saturday, May 19, 2012

Shelf Candy Saturday #20: The Robe, by Lloyd C. Douglas



This wonderful book meme/blog hop
is hosted by
Stephanie @




The purpose of this feature is to display
a beautiful book cover,
with information, if available,
about the cover illustrator,
photographer, and/or designer.

For all the participation rules,
just click



Here's my pick for this week!


 
Hardcover, 508 pages
People's Book Club: Chicago, Illinois
1942
Genres: Christian Fiction,
Historical Fiction
 


Why do I love this cover?

I just love the detailed realism of this artist's style!  It really has to be seen in person to be fully appreciated, I think, but even in this photograph one can see that this is the work of a very, very talented artist.  The scene depicted here is the one in which Marcellus, the novel's protagonist, puts on Christ's robe, which he had won in a game of dice at the foot of the cross.  He's at a lavish banquet given by Pontius Pilate, and the spectators are already half-drunk.  Pilate himself is watching the proceedings with a bored look on his face.  The man sitting next to him has completely succumbed to the wine's effects.   The symbols of Rome's dominion are leaning against a massive column behind them. 

I also love the font used for the title.  It's appropriately ancient-looking, and goes quite well with the cover illustration.  The scene is framed in a shade of red that matches the color of the Roman uniforms, and this, too, is very effective.

The book also contains several absolutely gorgeous illustrations, as you can see from the examples below.  Even the endpapers are illustrated!

This is a rare edition of the novel, which I bought on eBay about a week ago,  for a total of $19.31, including shipping and handling.  I had never seen it before, and simply couldn't pass it up!  Besides, the dustjacket is in a mylar sleeve, so it's very well protected. 





This is the front endpaper illustration,
which depicts the soldiers throwing the dice.






This illustration follows page 380, and depicts Marcellus
and his girlfriend Diana, on the island of Capri.
(Photo: zenscapes)





Dean Cornwell
(March 5, 1892 - Dec. 4, 1960)


Cornwell is the wonderful creator of the art for this book.  The following text is from the back flap of the dustjacket.  This is the first time I've come across a book that credits the illustrator so prominently. 

Dean Cornwell was born in Louisville, Kentucky, in 1892.  One of America's leading muralists and illustrators, he received his art training at the Chicago Art Institute, and has exhibited in the major art galleries both here and abroad.  His murals decorate many public buildings and homes, including the Los Angeles Public Library and the State Building in Nashville, Tennessee. 

In 1941 he executed three 50-foot murals on the history of transportation for Eastern Air Lines in Rockefeller Center**.  He is a painter member of the New York City Art Commission and a National Academician.

**This is in New York City, for my international readers.



Here are more examples of Cornwell's work, along with further biographical information:







So what do you think 
of this cover, and
the illustrations inside the book?
What beautiful cover(s) 
are you featuring this week?










4 comments:

  1. There is nothing like old school, classic art. The cover is amazing, but the inside would make me want to prop it open on the shelf. I was not familiar with Dean Cornwall, so I will have to study up a bit. Obviously this cover was not his first rodeo. Thanks for the awesome post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I wholeheartedly agree with you! Although I do like more contemporary styles as well, I stiil get a thrill out of looking at classic art!

      Check out the links I've provided about this artist. To be honest, I wasn't familiar with him, either, until I came across this book on eBay, and just HAD to have it!!! That's 'cos I'm a BIBLIOMANIAC, of course! Lol. When I went to these links, I saw that Cornwell was a pretty big deal, back in the day...

      You're very welcome for the post, and thanks for the great comment, as always!! <3

      Delete
  2. I LOVE that you chose an older book. The cover is wonderful but I have to agree with Steph - it's the inside illustrations that would get me. Beautiful. Such a cool pick this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Lee!

      Yes, the inside illustrations are absolutely GORGEOUS!! Actually, the one on the cover is an inside illustration, as well.

      Thank you so much for your compliments!! I'm so happy you liked that I chose an older book! I had never seen this edition before, nor had I heard of the artist, until I found the book by chance, on eBay. I'm so happy I bought it!! : )

      Delete

THIS IS NOW AN AWARD-FREE, AND TAG-FREE BLOG. Thanks for the compliment, though! : )

As of today, 9/23/18, I have permanently enabled comment moderation, due to a sudden rash of SPAM comments. I appreciate your patience!

Thanks for your thoughts on my posts! I always reply here, as well as comment back on your blog. Have a WONDERFUL day!! :)